Application: as soon as possible, deadline March 5th 2017
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French non-governmental organization committed to furthering the use of geographic information tools to improve data gathering and analysis for emergency relief and development programmes around the world.
New technologies including mobile applications, GPS and satellite images can be used to bring together vital information about people's needs as never before. From determining the locations and health of people trapped under buildings after an earthquake, to tracking cholera cases in an urban slum, up-to-date and geographically specific information helps save lives and improves the lives of people in the community. To find out more about how geographic information is used around the world to improve people's lives, see this list of CartONG projects and services.
CartONG enables emergency relief and development organizations and local governments to manage their own existing data, integrate other data sources and then use that data to plan programmes and monitor progress and impact. In our work, we focus on listening closely to the needs of the community, as well as training local people. This ensures that projects are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
CartONG is an international NGO based in France with a multicultural team. Our headquarters are in the city of Chambéry, in the heart of the French Alps, 1h from Geneva and Lyon (international airports) and 3h from Paris.
Currently, CartONG is seeking a mature individual to reinforce its team, especially for implementation and management of technical projects, as well as expertise in more complex Information Management, including Mobile Data Collection and related Data Analysis.
Contract Type: fixed term contract, 6 months to be extended by mutual consent. EU citizenship or Schengen visa required (short-term contract)
Start Date: ASAP (latest April)
Workstation: Chambéry (France) with frequent displacements
Salary: 2600 to 3000€ brut for 39h/week, depending on experience. Complémentaire santé covered at 50% + Transport at 50%
You are either a
1.A project manager with a humanitarian background and good knowledge of information management and related product and services,
Or you are
2.An information manager officer/manager with experience in managing small to medium size projects
You will assume the management of many of our smaller to medium sized projects, you also will work technically on them, alone or with a team of technical people, depending on its nature and size. As many of the medium sized projects are conducted with partners based in France, good knowledge of the French Non-Profit sector is an asset.
Minimum of 7 years of working experience, out of which 5 in the humanitarian sector.
III. Task and Duties
In this context, your assignments are:
- Setting up a working relationship with the partners of projects managed
- Implementing Projects in Mobile Data Collection and Information Management,
- Overseeing technical staff assigned to your projects
- Working technically in core area of expertise, conducting technological watch and maintaining quality of products and services on projects where you are the lead
- Conducting field missions if applicable (trainings, project implementation)
- Working closely with CartONG Management team, upholding CartONG’s mission statement and its values.
- Looking for potential new projects with existing partners or new partners altogether
You will have to regularly travel in Europe or for short (2 to 4 weeks maximum) field missions (up to a third of your time). The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent to the context of humanitarian organizations.
- You have strong experience in implementing IM and/or MDC projects technically (evaluating the needs, setting up tools, methodologies and procedures, planning and managing the associated capacity building…)
- You have good knowledge and relevant experience in the humanitarian sector
- You have relevant experience in Project management, including: finance, administration and team lead
- You have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. You have the capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts
- Work style: You are well organized and proactive, even within a multi-task working environment, and have a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills. You are autonomous, liking working independently and collaboratively.
- Communication Skills: You are able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CartONG. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: You are able to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. You are able to work and live with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Integrity: You demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. You work with trustworthiness and integrity and have a clear commitment to core values and humanitarian principles.
- People Skills: You are able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner. You have strong relational capacities allowing you to interact with other services of the organization (technical, communication, management ...)
- General finance, administration, information management applied to the humanitarian sector
- Strong interest in new technologies/ICT
- A very good written and oral communication in English and French.
- Basic knowledge in Geographical Information Systems
VI. Tools and System:
- MDC: ODK environment, experience with different MDC solutions
- Data Analysis and Visualization tools, Business Intelligence Tools
Any knowledge on GIS and Databases as well as coding languages like VBA a strong asset
Applications: send resume and cover letter to info[at]cartong.org before March 5th, 2016