Please notice that we currently have another position opened as IM/MDC project manager: it is recommended for senior staff but requires working from CartONG's HQ (Chambéry, France).
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French non-governmental organization committed to furthering the use of geographic information tools to improve data gathering and analysis for emergency relief and development programs around the world.
New technologies including mobile applications, GPS and satellite images can be used to bring together vital information about people's needs as never before. From determining the locations and health of people trapped under buildings after an earthquake, to tracking cholera cases in an urban slum, up-to-date and geographically specific information helps save lives and improves the lives of people in the community. To find out more about how geographic information is used around the world to improve people's lives, see this list of CartONG projects and services.
CartONG enables emergency relief and development organizations and local governments to manage their own existing data, integrate other data sources and then use that data to plan programs and monitor progress and impact. In our work, we focus on listening closely to the needs of the community, as well as training local people. This ensures that projects are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
Currently, CartONG is seeking a mature individual to reinforce its team, especially for implementation of technical projects, as well as expertise in more complex Information Management, including Mobile Data Collection and related Data Analysis.
You are an information management specialist with a strong technical as well as humanitarian background and experience in implementing small to medium size projects.
You will implement many of our smaller to medium sized projects, i.e. plan, devise, design and implement as well as support technical solutions or information management processes, either alone (supported by a Project Manager) or within a team of technical people, depending on its nature, skill set required and size. As many of the medium sized projects are conducted with partners based in France, good knowledge of the French Non-Profit sector is an asset.
Minimum of 4 years of working experience, out of which 2 in the humanitarian sector.
- Contract Type: either an employee (fixed-term contact 6 months, to be extended by mutual consent) or as a regular consultant position, depending on situation and preference of applicant.
- Start Date: ASAP
- Workstation: at HQ or remotely (cf. below)
- Salary: to discuss based on experience and status.
III. Task and Duties
In this context, your assignments are:
- Devising suitable technical solutions and related information management implementation processes based on partner’s requirement
- Implementing Projects in Mobile Data Collection and Information Management
- Coordinating technical staff assigned to your projects
- Working technically in core area of expertise, conducting technological watch and maintaining quality of products and services on projects where you are the lead IM specialist
- Conducting field missions upon request (trainings, project implementation)
- Working closely with CartONG Management team, upholding CartONG’s mission statement and its values.
- Documenting solutions and procedures, updating training material and step by step tutorials, writing blog posts
You will have to regularly deploy for short (2 to 4 weeks maximum) field missions as well as trainings in Europe (30% to 50% of your time).
Whilst regular visits to the office in Chambery are necessary and encouraged (minimum 4 times/year), the position can also be based from remote outside of deployments, if internet connection and communication tools are set up to enable easy exchanges.
The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent to the context of humanitarian organizations.
- Strong experience in implementing IM and/or MDC projects technically (evaluating the needs, setting up tools, methodologies and procedures, planning and managing the associated capacity building…)
- Good knowledge and relevant experience in the humanitarian sector
- Experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts
V. Soft skills
- Work style: You are well organized and proactive, even within a multi-task working environment, and have a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills. You are autonomous, liking working independently and collaboratively.
- Communication Skills: You are able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CartONG. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills.
- Resilience/Adaptability and flexibility: You are able to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, high security risks and harsh living conditions. You are able to work and live with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Integrity: You demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. You work with trustworthiness and integrity and have a clear commitment to core values and humanitarian principles.
- People Skills: You are able to support and train local and international staff and also able to work with disaster affected communities in a sensitive and participatory manner. You have strong relational capacities allowing you to interact with other services of the organization (technical, communication, management ...)
- Strong interest in new technologies/ICT
- A very good written and oral communication in English and intermediate level in French.
- Experience and interest in Project Management an asset
VI. Technicals skills
- MDC: ODK environment, experience with different MDC solutions; recommended: Kobo, Ona, Survey CTO
- Data Analysis and Visualization tools, Business Intelligence Tools (such as Qlik, Tableau, Power Bi)
- Experience with data interoperability and related procedures/tools like Talend, FME
- Harvest and use of data through API
VI.2. A strong asset
- Knowledge of statistical packages like SPSS, STATA or similar
- Knowledge on database architecture and database handling like MS Access, MySQL, NoSQL databases (MongoDB, etc.)
- Knowledge on GIS (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Coding skills on languages like VBA
Applications: send resume and cover letter with your surname as documents titles to info[at]cartong.org