What are the benefits?
- UNHCR has full ownership of the data.
- Data is shared within UNHCR and basic features are publicly available through web services which feed into web maps and mapping applications.
- Data is collected offline.
- Updating and editing of existing data is possible.
- After initial training local actors are able to collect and maintain the data autonomously without requiring a GIS specialist on the ground.
- All camp infrastructure data is stored in the same location (preventing data loss on local machines).
- Data sharing and update of web maps in one click.
What output is produced?
In addition to printed maps, information products derived from camp mapping include web maps to view, filter and extract the data. Custom-built web mapping applications can be set up performing pre-defined analysis such as distance to facilities or population density.
Jan / 2015