*Apply before: January, 31st 2022
This position is for you:
- If you are looking for working with a various and dynamic Webdev team and if you see an opportunity to further advance your skills in a humanitarian sector
- If you have the appetite to facilitate brainstorming, share your skills and knowledge’s on different types of subjects, challenges and different technologies.
- If you have a strong interest in understanding humanitarian and development organizations’ needs and constraints and delivering targeted quality solutions to field operations as well as headquarters.
- If you are passionate about collaborative and team work to bring the best technical solutions adapted to any given situation to solve key humanitarian challenges.
- If you enjoy discovering and testing new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind.
I. Presentation of the organization
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized emergency response and development as well as UN agencies; MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 30 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a Full-Stack Web Developer to join our team.
- Contract Type: starting with fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with the objective of making it permanent if wished by both parties
- Start Date: 1st of February 2022
- Location: Chambéry or remote work from France
- Salary: calculated using CartONG’s salary grid based on experience, 39 hours/week contract (35 h + 4 extra hours paid)
- Other benefits: additional health insurance & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, you will be sitting with the web development pole working for a variety of humanitarian projects and partners.
You will play a key role within the web development projects in CartONG, assisting with choices of technologies, project planning and deliverables. Being part of the web-development pole in CartONG will require you to be proactive in supporting the pole development, organizing internal or external trainings, experience sharing session in collaboration with the other web developers. Organization’s adaptability, agility, and ability to manage constant change through innovation can be keys to success. You will support and make the process more efficiently and effectively.
In this context, your assignments are:
- Analysis of user requirements on web applications from a technical point of view
- Following up with the partner on technical aspects if applicable
- Ability to discuss advanced technical topics with relevant stakeholders
- Be lead developer on some projects
- Develop and improve good practices.
- Doing technical implementation, bugs corrections when needed
- Write technical documentation.
- Technical support
- Technology watch for future web developments
- Having the curiosity and advanced knowledge in IT/WebDevelopment, desktop, mobile and server applications.
- Participate to activities supporting CartONG's associative mission whenever possible and relevant: exchanges with the Board and other members including during Get-togethers and green days, involvement in internal trainings, support to volunteer projects, support to projects concerning the whole organization
- Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as the GeOnG forum
- Participate proactively to the association's communication by writing news, blog posts and other products, as well as representing CartONG during tech-oriented and/or humanitarian events and conferences
Qualification: Engineer Master’s Degree or equivalent in computer science
Experience: 3/5 years in the development and implementation of web development applications
- Professional Skills & Knowledge
- You have a good experience on different front-end libraries to design advanced functionalities
- You are able to quickly understand partner needs in order to translate them into requirements and enjoy problem solving.
- You are creative and autonomous for creating web application without many side-support (web design support limited) and you have a strong sense of ownership of assigned tasks and proven track record of delivery on commitment.
- Ability to balance short-term technical choices with a long-term vision of developments, and to justify design and technical choices
- Knowledge of Agile process and principles
- Soft Skills
- Languages requirements: Good level in French and English required (min. B2)
- Excellent organization skills and autonomy: capacity to understand problems and take decisions, proven track record of delivery on commitment, setting and following deliverables, prioritization of tasks, ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Strong ability to work within a team, capacity to overcome challenges and find ways around constraints. -
- Quality-oriented personality with focus on permanent improvement of processes
- Ability to communicate on applications, technical modules and implementation details to different audiences: users, technical people and project managers
- Interest & understanding of the working context in the humanitarian and social sector: multicultural environment, sometimes working non-standard hours (evening or weekend activities), ever-changing environment with high constraints requiring a high level of adaptability
- Technical Skills
- Backend development:
- Expertise in Php, with the Symfony framework or equivalent
- Basic knowledge in Python
- Frontend development:
- Good knowledge in HTML5/CSS3/LESS
- Testing experience (TDD, Unit testing...) would be appreciate
- Good knowledge in Mysql or equivalent (Optimisation)
- Knowledge in Postgres
- Background in GNU/Linux server administration
- Knowledge of Apache or equivalent
- Knowledge in Docker would be very appreciate
- Knowledge of GitLab CI/CD would be appreciate
- Basic design ability: Including knowledge of UI/UX and basic prototype design
- Ability to visualize a proposed system and be able to build it
Applications (CV and letter of intent) to be submitted via online form by January, 31st 2022:
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.
CartONG reserves the right to close the recruitment earlier if sufficient and satisfactory applications are received.