* Apply before: January, 2nd 2021
This position is for you:
- If you want to produce qualitative maps being rigorous and paying attention to details
- If you want to integrate a multidisciplinary team
- If you also think that a map can make the difference but that’s only the tip of the iceberg
- If you have a strong interest for assessing and understanding needs and constraints in the humanitarian sector
- If you like to discover and test new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind
Presentation of the organization
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized emergency response and development as well as UN agencies; MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 30 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a GIS Officer to join our team.
- Contract Type: starting with fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with the objective of making it permanent if wished by both parties
- Start Date: January, 3rd 2021
- Location: Chambéry (France)
- Salary: calculated with CartONG’s salary grid based on experience, 39 hours/week contract (35 h + 4 extra hours paid)
- Other benefits: additional health insurance & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, your position will be dedicated to CartONG mapping team. You will be directly reporting to the GIS Project manager and the Mapping Service Coordinator, working closely in collaboration with other GIS officers and Technical Lead.
You will be part of an on-call team, to answer to emergency mapping support for our partner.
You will go to Geneva or other locations, and might travel regularly in Europe and periodically for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, rush situations).
In this context, your assignments are:
Mapping / GIS
- Answer partners’ mapping/GIS requests on different solutions (proprietary / open-source).
- Support the team in assessing and understanding needs on GIS projects.
- Follow processes, using templates and style to ensure a standardized production of maps.
- Participate to CartONG’s GIS & mapping processes’ improvement, to continuously enhance the reactivity and quality of the mapping pole work by improving and creating new styles and templates.
- Answer various technical field requests.
- Improve technical processes and good practices on tools used by our partners : ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, QGIS, ...
- In collaboration with the data management pole, maintain databases
- Tech watch and tests on new solutions and tools such as OSM, QField, Geoserver ...
Training and documentation
- Write documentation, guidelines and tutorials for internal usage and partners.
- Write blogposts for external dissemination and popularization of GIS within the humanitarian sector.
- Be part of the trainer pool to facilitate trainings on mapping and GIS and contribute to material creation and updates.
- Participate to activities supporting CartONG's associative mission whenever possible and relevant: exchanges with board and other members including get-togethers, green days, internal trainings, support to volunteer projects, support to projects concerning the whole structure
- Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as GeOnG
- Participate to the association's communication by writing news, blog posts and other products, as well as representing CartONG during event and conferences
Academic background: Master's Degree or equivalent in GIS or a related field.
Experience: 2 years in map production and GIS
- Be an expert in mapping ESRI Tools:
- ArcGIS Pro mandatory : very good knowledge, regular practice
- ArcMap, ArcGIS Online : good knwoledge
- Other mapping and GIS tools an asset
- Good knowledge and usage of semiology of graphics rules
- Data management
- Knowledge of graphic/design tool an asset
- Languages: Good level in French and English required (min. B2)
- Autonomous and proactive in understanding and answering user needs through mapping
- Rigorous and attentive to detail, especially on the quality of final map rendering
- Ability to work in a team, being involved and communicative
- Interest in humanitarian issues and understanding of the humanitarian work environment: rapidly changing needs and requiring responsiveness
- Curiosity and open to new technologies, processes and tools.
Applications (CV and letter of intent) to be submitted via online form by January 2nd, 2021:
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.
CartONG reserves the right to close the recruitment earlier if sufficient and satisfactory applications are received.