*Apply by: March, 31st 2022 (included)
This position is made for you:
- If you are passionate about GIS and they will no longer be a mystery for you!
- If you want to challenge yourself on technologies and their application within a multidisciplinary team.
- If you also think that a map can make the difference but that’s only the tip of the iceberg
- If you have a strong interest for assessing and understanding needs and constraints in the humanitarian sector
- If you like to discover and test new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized in disaster response and development as well as UN agencies (MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here). CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 20 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a GIS Officer, as an employee.
- Contract type: fixed-term contract (CDD) of 1 year, to be extended by mutual consent
- Start date: April, 1st 2022
- Location: Chambéry, France
- Salary: calculated using the CartONG salary grid and based on experience (https://cartong.org/cartong-salary-policy), 39 hours/week contract (35 h + 4 paid extra hours/week)
- Other benefits: additional health insurance (covered 61% by CartOng) & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
The GIS Officer is a member of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and geographic data management pole of CartONG. Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, he will work with our project managers and technical team to support various GIS projects.
His line manager is the GIS Project Manager, he will be supervised by her on the projects that she manages directly, and more occasionally functionally by the managers of the other projects in which he will participate. He may also contribute to the association's working groups according to his availability and interests.
In this context, his/her assignments are:
1. Implementation of GIS products
- Answer partners’ mapping/GIS requests on different solutions (proprietary / open-source).
- Support the team in assessing and understanding needs on GIS projects.
- Follow processes, using templates and style to ensure a standardized production of maps.
- Participate to CartONG’s GIS & mapping processes’ improvement, to continuously enhance the reactivity and quality of the mapping pole work by improving and creating new styles and templates.
- Improve technical processes and good practices on tools used by our partners.
2. Technical support
- Answer various technical field requests.
- Improve technical processes and good practices on tools used by our partners: ArcGIS Hub, ArcGIS Online et ArcGIS FieldMap.
- Write documentation, guidelines and tutorials for field and technical staffs.
- Participate to capacity building in the field to implement processes and good practices.
3. Application management
- Participate to server application and database maintenance
- Work on ArcGIS Server for services publication and maintenance.
- Apply GIS good practices and guidelines.
- Tech watch and tests on new solutions and tools such as OSM, QField, Geoserver, etc.
4. Training and documentation
- Write documentation, guidelines and tutorials for internal usage and partners.
- Write blog posts for external dissemination and popularization of GIS within the humanitarian sector.
- Be part of the trainer pool to facilitate trainings on mapping and GIS and contribute to material creation and updates.
5. Crosscutting activities
- Participate to activities supporting CartONG's associative mission whenever possible and relevant: exchanges with board and other members including Get-togethers, green days, internal trainings, support to volunteer projects, support to projects concerning the whole structure
- Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as GeOnG
- Participate to the association's communication by writing news, blog posts and other products, as well as representing CartONG during event and conferences
The staff can be deployed for short (2 to 4 weeks maximum) field missions as well as asked to conduct training workshops in Europe (20% to 40% of total time).
The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent to the context of humanitarian organizations.
Qualification: Master's Degree or equivalent in GIS or a related field.
Professional experience: 2 years in map production and GIS. An experience in the humanitarian sector is an asset.
1. Technical Skills
- Very good knowledge of ESRI Suite
- Knowledge of other GIS tools
- Data management
- Interest for server application management
2. Soft Skills
- Languages: Good level in French and English required (min. B2)
- Autonomous and proactive in understanding and answering user needs through mapping
- Rigorous and attentive to detail, both in data management and on the quality of final map rendering
- Ability to work in a team, being involved and communicative
- Interest in humanitarian issues and understanding of the humanitarian work environment: rapidly changing needs and requiring responsiveness
- Interest & understanding of the working context in the humanitarian sector: multicultural environment, late work, on-call during humanitarian crises, possible field missions.
Applications to be submitted (CV + cover letter) via online form before March, 31st 2022(included):
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.
CartONG reserves the right to close the recruitment earlier if sufficient and satisfactory applications are received.