This position is for you:
- If you are passionate about the beauty of the map product, its complexity and variety and its added-value!
- If you have the appetite on different types of subjects, challenges and different technologies regarding the maps.
- If you like this extra-mile where a beautiful map can make the difference
- If you are interesting into adoption of new tools, evolution of practices and organizational collective evolution as a professional domain per say
- If you have a strong interest in understanding humanitarian and development organizations’ needs and constraints and delivering targeted quality solutions to field operations as well as headquarters.
- If you enjoy discovering and testing new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind.
I. Presentation of the organization
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized emergency response and development as well as UN agencies; MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 30 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a GIS and Change Management Officer to join our team.
- Contract Type: starting with fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with the objective of making it permanent if wished by both parties
- Start Date: September 2021
- Location: Chambéry (France)
- Salary: calculated with CartONG’s salary grid based on experience, 39 hours/week contract (35 h + 4 extra hours paid)
- Other benefits: additional health insurance & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, your position will be divided in 2 lots.
First half of your time will be dedicated to the team managed by our external partner. You will be directly reporting to the head of services. Your assignment will be on Communication and Change Management activities in order to support adoption of GIS Products and Services. You will be developing strategy to maximize adoption of new tools and ways of working, both by GIS staff and stakeholders. Maintaining the balance between a rational, analytical approach of Change Management on one hand, and communication soft skills, will be key to understand risks, opportunities and actions momentum. You will develop and implement a communication strategy regarding promotion of GIS within partner organization.
Second half of the position will be dedicated to CartONG mapping team. You will be directly reporting to the GIS Project manager and working closely in collaboration with other GIS officers and technical lead.
In this context, your assignments are:
Communication and Change Management Officer
- Analyze GIS stakeholders' groups
- General CM strategy to improve GIS knowledge and literacy
- Adoption strategy per product and user group
- Adoption strategy for new ways of working
- Communication strategy
- Provides communication material & icons
- Participates to the design of Products and ensure visual consistency
- Produce static and online maps, using templates and style
- Support relevant maps and resources harvesting and feed of catalogs
- Improve and diversify type of maps produced
- Improve the contents, formats and processes of maps creation, static and online
- Follow up with the partner on technical aspects if applicable
- Technology watch for future developments
- Write technical documentation
- Improve and systematize data collection, data mining and integration of GIS data in the database.
- Implement quality control process for static maps produced within the team and by partner staffs in the field.
- Provide technical support for partner staffs in the field.
- Participate to activities supporting CartONG's associative mission whenever possible and relevant: exchanges with the Board and other members including during get-togethers and green days, involvement in internal trainings, support to volunteer projects, support to projects concerning the whole organization
- Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as the GeOnG forum
- Participate proactively to the association's communication by writing news, blog posts and other products, as well as representing CartONG during tech-oriented and/or humanitarian events and conferences
You will go to Geneva or other locations, and might travel regularly in Europe and periodically for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, rush situations).
Academic background: Master's Degree or equivalent in GIS or a related field.
Experience: 2/5 years in the development and implementation of GIS solutions
Knowledge and Experiences:
- Good knowledge of the wide range of GIS solutions: from mapping to servers through web mapping and database management
- Ability to quickly understand partners’ needs in order to translate them into requirements and to enjoy finding the best technical solution, including benchmarking & testing
- Strong relational skills allowing you to interact with a wide range of actors and units within the partners’ organization (technical, communication, management, etc.)
- Graphic sensitivity and creativity
- Force of proposal, spirit of mutual aid
- Ability to overcome technical problems
- Rigor, autonomy, flexibility and curiosity
- Leaderships skills
- Experience and knowledge of change management principles, methodologies and tools
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to clearly articulate messages to a variety of audiences
- Flexible and adaptable
- Must be a team player and able to work collaboratively with and through others
- Forward looking with a holistic approach
- Excellent active listening skills
- Experience with large-scale organizational change efforts
- Continually assess product quality and release readiness
- Autonomous but enjoying team work.
- Appetite for beautiful maps
- Interest in humanitarian issues and understanding of the humanitarian work environment: rapidly changing needs and requiring responsiveness
- Curiosity and open to new technologies, processes and tools.
Languages: Good level in French and English required (min. B2)
- ESRI Tools: ArcGIS Pro mandatory
- QGIS an asset
- Graphic/Design software (Illustrator, Inskape..), strong asset
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programs including community exchange tools
Applications (CV and letter of intent) to be submitted via online form by September the 3rd:
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.
CartONG reserves the right to close the recruitment earlier if sufficient and satisfactory applications are received.