*Apply before : 3rd of September 2021
This position is for you:
- If you are looking for a new challenge working on Learning and Development aspects or applying your LnD experience in the humanitarian sector
- If you appreciate a pedagogical approach aiming to support groups of people to become more literate and passionate about GIS
- If you are driven by helping an organization to develop its own LnD strategy
- If you have a strong appetite for communication, relationship and for technical and challenging discussions regarding the various spectrum of GIS technologies.
- If you have a strong interest in understanding humanitarian and development organizations’ needs and constraints, and delivering targeted quality solutions to field operations as well as headquarters.
- If you enjoy discovering and testing new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind.
- If by all means, you also like having a balanced position composed of meetings but also implementation.
I. Presentation of the organization
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized emergency response and development as well as UN agencies; MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 30 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a GIS Learning and Development Officer to join our team.
- Contract Type: starting with fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with the objective of making it permanent if wished by both parties
- Start Date: September 2021
- Location: Chambéry (France)
- Salary: calculated with CartONG’s salary grid based on experience, 39 hours/week contract (35 h + 4 extra hours paid)
- Other benefits: additional health insurance & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, your position is divided in 2 main aspects.
First half of the position covers the Learning and Development activities for which you will directly be assigned to the team managed by our main partner. You will be, in coordination with the head of services, supporting the development and delivery of effective learning & development programs, trainings and initiatives. Key responsibilities include improving team communication, optimize capacity building and strengthening GIS community of practice.
By implementing the annual LnD plan of actions, you will ensure to capture adequate training records and data. In coordination and with the support of the team, you will develop and facilitate relevant training sessions/programs. You will oversee the trainings programs and ensure with the different trainers that the set-up and the equipment are provided. You will also bring new ideas on contents, formats, and methodological approaches on facilitating trainings. In complex organization such as our main partner, organization’s agility, and ability to adapt to constant change can be keys to success. As a support role dedicated to help the GIS team improve its internal and external capacity building, you will be responsible to optimize processes efficiency.
The second half of the position as GIS Officer for CartONG will focus on GIS activities mainly towards our external partners. You will be in charge of realizing the first needs analysis and requirements for various GIS projects. You will play a critical role by understanding user needs and be the one defining adequate tools or processes to put in place for our partner. You will be directly reporting to the relevant GIS Project manager.
In this context, your assignments are:
Learning and Development Officer
- Analyze GIS stakeholders' groups
- Propose a global learning strategy to reinforce GIS literacy
- Propose LnD strategy per product and user group
- Propose strategy to promote GIS trainings
- Develop targeted trainings in GIS
- Develop learning material per targeted group or product
- Recommendation of external trainings for GIS staffs
- Functional Administration of platform of LnD materials, community of practice and knowledge management tools
- Responsible for gathering, analyzing, and specifying requirements from end-users in order to define the best suitable solution.
- Providing a support service for GIS related questions from the end-users
- Assess and understand sector needs, suggestion the best way to geo-enable their data
- Work closely with the technical lead for any technical subjects
- Documentation toward the end-users on different GIS products (user documentation, tutorials…)
- Technology watch for future developments in GIS
- Technical support for different tasks: from graphics to data management passing by maps production when emergencies require it.
- Having the curiosity and advanced knowledge in GIS
- Ability to discuss advanced technical topics with relevant stakeholders
- Participate to activities supporting CartONG's associative mission whenever possible and relevant: exchanges with the Board and other members including during get-togethers and green days, involvement in internal trainings, support to volunteer projects, support to projects concerning the whole organization
- Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as the GeOnG forum
- Participate proactively to the association's communication by writing news, blog posts and other products, as well as representing CartONG during tech-oriented and/or humanitarian events and conferences
You will go to Geneva or other locations and might travel regularly in Europe and periodically for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work hours rush situations).
Qualification: Engineer Master’s Degree or equivalent in GIS or computer science
Experience: 3 to 5 years in GIS with min 1 year in similar position
Previous experience in the humanitarian and/or development sector (NGO, UN, etc.) will be considered an asset for this position.
- Professionnal Skills & Knowledge
- Good knowledge of the wide range of GIS solutions: from mapping to servers through web mapping and database management
- Ability to quickly understand partners’ needs in order to translate them into requirements and to enjoy finding the best technical solution, including benchmarking & testing
- Strong relational skills allowing you to interact with a wide range of actors and units within the partners’ organization (technical, communication, management, etc.)
- Aspiration to maintain a deep awareness of GIS industry and business environment to understand risks and enable business innovation and growth
- Soft Skills
- Languages requirements: Good level in French and English required (min. B2)
- Excellent organization skills and autonomy: capacity to understand problems and take decisions, proven track record of delivery on commitment
- Strong ability to work within a team, capacity to overcome challenges and find ways around constraints.
- Quality-oriented personality with focus on permanent improvement of processes
- Ability to communicate on applications, technical modules and implementation details to different audiences: users, technical people and project managers
- Pedagogical skills, including coaching, and animation of community of practices.
- Interest & understanding of the working context in the humanitarian and social sector: multicultural environment, sometimes working non-standard hours (evening or weekend activities), ever-changing environment with high constraints requiring a high level of adaptability
- In accordance with CartONG's values (discover our Associative Project to learn more)
- Technical Skills
- ESRI Product suite, QGIS Suite
- Knowledge of training and development principles and practices.
- Knowledge a project management tool, an asset
- Community exchange and capacity building tools and applications, a strong asset
- Skilled at developing and delivering training programs.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programs (Sharepoint a strong asset).
Applications (CV and letter of intent) to be submitted via online form by September the 3rd:
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.