*Apply before: January 15th, 2023
This job is for you:
- If you have had experience in MEAL, IM or international solidarity project coordination through which you have acquired a good knowledge of data management tools, especially MDC.
- If you like the idea of holistically supporting some of CartONG’s partners in the full chain of data and information management, conceptualizing electronic forms, training partner staff, analyzing and supporting the dissemination of the analysis products
- If you like the idea of supporting partners remotely (and occasionally face-to-face) through training and technical assistance.
- If you enjoy being part of a multidisciplinary technical team
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French "H2H" (Humanitarians to Humanitarians) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it other the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, responsible data, participatory mapping, Open Data, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to support.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized in emergency response and international development as well as UN agencies: MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing and dynamic organization, gathering around 40 international staffs and 60 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry - a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
Type of contract: permanent contract (CDI)
Contract start date: from the beginning of January 2023
Location: at the association's headquarters in Chambéry (with 3 days/week of possible remote work) or remote.
Salary: based on salary scale and experience (https://cartong.org/cartong-salary-policy), 39 hour/week contract (35 hrs + 4 hours paid overtime/week)
Other benefits: complementary health insurance (61% covered by CartONG) and public transport pass covered at 50% by the employer according to the legal provisions in force
Since 2009, CartONG has been a pioneer in the use of new technologies for NGO programme data management (such as mobile data collection - MDC) to improve information management in humanitarian operations. We accompany several partners such as UNHCR, ACF, SI, FairTrade or Terre des hommes in the reflection and implementation of these tools in the field in different sectors (WASH, nutrition, livelihoods, health etc.) and regularly innovate both in our processes and in the tools used. CartONG is also an organisation that can be seen as a resource centre (such as with the IM resource portal and its learning corner).
We are now looking for an Information Management Officer with a humanitarian or development background and experience in implementing data management tools to join our team.
Within the Mobile Data Collection/Information Management Unit, he/she will be in charge of supporting one of our main projects and additionally give a hand on smaller to medium size IM projects (such as Terre des hommes, Agence Française de Développement, ACF, Solidarités International etc.). His/her main responsibilities include implementing MDC surveys, capacity building, analyzing data and seek improved IM processes and tools wherever it makes sense. He/she plays an essential role in helping CartONG's partners to adapt to new technical solutions, and in accompanying them in their deployment (technical implementation, training...).
The position reports to one of the IM & MDC Project Managers, and works closely with other IM/MDC project managers and technical staff assigned to the projects.
In this context, his/her tasks are the following:
Implementation of information management projects (technically, ethically and methodologically)
- Designing of data collection tools (e.g. mobile surveys in XLSForms), databases and data visualisation and analysis tools (e.g. Excel, PowerBI), with a focus on his/her main area of expertise (assessing needs, choice of technical solutions and set-up)
- Providing face-to-face or remote trainings related to the data management cycle (data collection, data analysis, etc.),
- Providing regular remote support to CartONG partners (coaching, hotline for partner staff...)
- Producing and maintaining technical and methodological documentation for our partners and the sector: tutorials, manuals, training modules, procedures, blog posts, etc.
- Carrying out technical and technological watch to maintain the quality of products and services
- Participating in and contribute to the life of the IM & MDC pole, pole meetings and experience sharing, green days, as well as the production of documentation aimed at circulating good practices (technical, methodological, ethical) within the pole.
- Conducting field missions on request (training, project implementation)
Support other CartONG activities (ad hoc)
- Participate in activities that support CartONG's associative mission when possible and relevant, and interact with the association's Board and other members (including by participating to events such as the associative weekends called "get-togethers", the team green days, internal training sessions, etc.)
- Support volunteers' projects and projects implemented in support of the whole organization
- Support structuring endeavors when possible and relevant (notably by participating in one or more working groups)
The person can be deployed for short field missions (1 to 3 weeks maximum) as well as for training in Europe (0 to 20% of the time).
The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent to the context of emergency humanitarian organizations.
III. Profile required
Qualification: Master's degree in any relevant field.
Professional experience: Minimum of 3 years of professional experience, 2 of which in the humanitarian or development sector. At least one field experience in a developing country is required.
Professional / technical skills
- Significant experience in data management processes (collection, cleaning, analysis...) with data management tools.
- Advanced Excel user
- Mastery of the project cycle and IM processes
- Good knowledge of some of the technical solutions for mobile data collection used in the sector (ODK, Kobo, ONA, SurveyCTO, CommCare ...)
A major asset
- Mastery of the technical environment of data management, data visualisation and analysis such as BI (PowerBI, Qlik, Tableau...), data visualisation, etc., in particular the aspects related to the security of the tools.
- Ability to design data models and build databases accordingly.
- Knowledge of concepts and methodologies related to transversal approaches to information management: open data, crowdsourcing, agile approach, data protection, etc.
- Ability to provide training in the above-mentioned skills.
- Good written and oral communication in English and French.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (you will be working with people from different cultures and backgrounds, with people whose mother tongue is not always French or English, etc., and you will also be expected to represent CartONG in the implementation of projects, in the field, at events, etc.)
- Good teaching skills
- Proactivity, curiosity and autonomy
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Adaptability, resourcefulness and the ability to work under pressure and, where appropriate, during missions, in risky environments and difficult living conditions.
- In accordance with CartONG's values (discover our Associative Project to know more)
Application to be submitted via our online form by 15/01/2023 inclusive.
Remember to select the position you wish to apply for on the online form.
Please note that the recruitment process will consist of a test and interviews
Please note that we reserve the right to close the offer earlier.